Do You Know The Secret To Success?
Everyone wants to know what the one key to success is in your career, business, and life in general. It seems like we’re always searching for that one thing that will take our careers and business to the next level. Well, I’m excited to tell you that I’ve discovered the answer! Yes, the number one key to success as an artist or entrepreneur.
But first, a little story….
I was at the dry cleaners yesterday dropping off my husband’s clothes, and got into a really interesting conversation with the store clerk. He asked for the phone number related to the account, and I said that it’s under my husband’s name, to which the clerk responded, what’s his phone number?
Simple question right? Well, sadly enough, I couldn’t remember my hubby’s phone number! I couldn’t believe it! But I realized that, since it’s saved in my phone, I don’t even think about it, and try to remember it. Sad, but true.
So this led to an entire conversation about how no one knows phone numbers anymore, and how we’re all so reliant on technology, and we’re used to having all kinds of information at our fingertips, in the blink of an eye. All very true.
What does this mean for you as an artist/entrepreneur? It means that you (and all of us) have become accustomed to getting things quick and fast, and we’re not used to having to wait for anything anymore. This lack of patience then transfers over to other areas of our lives, and we think that everything is supposed to happen fast, including success.
Well, unfortunately, that is not the case, especially when it comes to reaching our long-term goals, and accomplishing long-term success.
So, what is the secret to success as an artist or entrepreneur?
Drum Roll Please…
Yup, that’s it. Were you expecting a different answer? I bet you were. Let me explain to you why this is the #1 key to success.
I always explain to my social media marketing consulting clients, my students, and my friends, who are looking for encouragement in the pursuit of their goals, that time is the one thing that you can’t get around. Things take time, and you simply have to have the patience to see your dreams and goals come to life.
Remember when you were in grade school, or even college? Each school term or semester lasted for a specific period of time, and there was no way around it. There was no way for you to make the school year go by faster. It just was what it was. Well, things haven’t changed much since grade school, and the sooner you can embrace that things simply take time, the better off you’ll be.
5 Steps To Help You Become More Patient
1. Expect To Wait. When setting the goals for your career or business, go into it with the expectation that things are more than likely going to take longer than you want them to. There is no such thing as an “overnight success’. It simply doesn’t exist. Expect to have to wait a while before you will reach your goals, but be aware of, and be sure to celebrate all of the small steps of progress that you will make along the way. After all, it is ultimately about the journey, not the destination.
2. Plan What You’ll Do While You Wait. So, you’ve realized and accepted that it’s going to take one year, five years, or 10 years, to get to where you want to be. So, what will you do in the meantime? Don’t just sit around playing Words With Friends, and watching reality tv shows! Get to work. Plan what small steps that you will take everyday, to help to bring you closer to your goals, and build the character, abilities, and strength you need to realize those goals.
3. Have A Positive Attitude About Waiting. A negative attitude, or a pessimistic outlook on life will never get you to where you want to be. You’ve heard the saying, “You are what you eat”. Well, I say, “You are what you think”. Keep your thoughts positive, healthy, and hopeful, and remember that your waiting period is temporary, and crucial to building the character you need to be successful long-term.
4. Work Hard And Be Consistent While You Wait. As I mentioned in point #3, you should be quite busy while you’re “waiting”. Waiting is not a passive activity, it is active. What you do while you wait, determines how quickly your dreams and goals will be realized. If you’re consistently putting in the work, time, and energy to reach your goals, they will be here before you know it, because you’re busy taking the necessary steps to make them happen.
5. Prepare For the Time You’ve Been Waiting For. This is probably the most important aspect of waiting. Prepare, prepare, prepare! Your goals, dreams, and unexpected opportunities may pop up out of nowhere, when you least expect, so you have to be ready for them. Don’t waste your waiting time, by being lazy, and having an attitude of, “well, it’s not gonna happen anytime soon so, I’ll just work on things later”. No way! Get ready now! Work on your business plan, plan your marketing strategy, get active on social media, eat healthy, get in shape, take classes, get a mentor, do whatever you need to do to be ready for your dreams to come true.
One last thing. I believe in something called ‘supernatural patience’. It’s the kind of patience that only God can give you. When I get weak, and can feel myself becoming impatient, I always pray, and ask God for help, and He never fails me.
What about you? Would you define yourself as a patient person? Where do you struggle, or how has being patient helped you to reach your goals in life? Please leave a comment with your thoughts below. I’d love to hear from you!
Please share this post on Facebook and Twitter, if you found it helpful.
Post your comment here!