1) We are among the hardest working people in the world! A lifetime of training, injuries, pain, suffering, little recognition, inconsistent work, unimaginable competition, politics, low-paying jobs, limited opportunities, and the list goes on and on! But we wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world!
2) We wear our heart on our sleeve. Although rejection is as common to us as is temper tantrums to 2 year olds, we still feel the pain. There’s nothing in the world like giving all of yourself through your art, only for people to tell you that you’re not good enough. Dance is very personal to us. As I’ve said before, it’s who we are, not what we do.
3) We don’t really care what other people think (but we have to). Our business is 95 Percent about image, gimmicks, big names on your resume, who you know, etc., and 5 Percent about actual talent. So, as much as we love to do what we do, and strictly do it for the love, we do have to keep in mind that how other people view us (talent agencies, casting directors, choreographers, etc.) reigns supreme. We don’t love it, but it comes with the territory.
4) We want financial and career stability, retirement funds, investments, home ownership, etc. Just like everyone else does. We’re just not willing to sell our soul, work at a miserable job where we’re unhappy, or become something that we’re not, in order to obtain it. There’s something to be said for those who do what they’re passionate about everyday. These people are happier, more positive, and are typically really great at what they do! Just think of Broadway shows, or other professional dance/entertainment shows, or even your child’s local dance studio. Isn’t it a great feeling to know that these people love what they do, give it their all, and you get to benefit from it? It doesn’t get much better than that!
5) We’re a lot of fun! Passionate people are interesting people! And no one has more passion than us. We’re comfortable in our bodies, enjoy expressing ourselves, and we love to have a great time and enjoy life. If you have any dancer friends, then you will definitely agree!
Post your comment here!