Photo Credit: BritishPerfection on Photobucket
Money is fleeting. It’s here today gone tomorrow. Therefore, we must be very careful when facing the reality that although it takes money to survive and thrive in this industry, we must not allow money to become our main focus. Although we say that, “money can’t buy happiness”, so many people believe that if they just had a little (or a lot) more money, they would be happier, their life would be better, and their problems would be solved. Have you ever felt that way before? Do you feel that way now? The following bible scripture is definitely food for thought, and always helps me keep money in perspective:
11. “The more you have, the more people come to help you spend it. So what good is wealth – except perhaps to watch it slip through your fingers! 12. People who work hard sleep well, whether they eat little or much. But the rich seldom get a good night’s sleep. 13. There is another serious problem I have seen under the sun. Hoarding riches harms the saver. 14. Money is put into risky investments that turn sour, and everything is lost. In the end, there is nothing left to pass on to one’s children. 15. We all come to the end of our lives as naked and empty-handed as on the day we were born. We can’t take our riches with us. 16. And this, too, is a very serious problem. People leave this world no better off than when they came. All their hard work is for nothing – like working for the wind. 17. Throughout their lives, they live under a cloud – frustrated, discouraged, and angry.”
“If you’re doing it for money or attention then you’re doing it for the wrong reasons. Do it because it’s your purpose!” ~ Tony A. Gaskins, Jr.
Now you might be thinking to yourself, no one becomes a professional dancer/choreographer/dance teacher for the money. I completely agree. We dance because we love it, and because it’s our passion. However, along the way in our journey, the need for more money becomes evident, as we try to create our own work, start our own dance company, dance studio, or business, and do normal things like buy a home, or start a family.
These are the times when we must remember that although money is necessary, it shouldn’t become our main focus or motivation. Don’t chase money, chase your purpose. Don’t seek riches, seek God. There is so much more to your life, purpose, mission, and message than money. Let your purpose be what drives you. Let being of service to others motivate you. Then, the money will come. People will see and connect with your passion. People will be drawn to how much you care about your work, and aspire to make people’s lives better, happier, and more fulfilled through it. Money is the result of bringing your purpose, vision, and mission into alignment with the needs and desires of others. If things aren’t going the way you want them to go, if money seems to be running away from you instead of being attracted to you, stop. Go back to the basics.
First and foremost, don’t ever believe the lie that “there’s just not any money out there“, or “people just don’t have the money to spend on the arts“, etc. People spend money every single day, and they spend it on what they feel is important. Even broke people! Let me say that again, people, including people who claim to be broke, are spending money every single day. So lack of money is not really the core issue.
The lack is in the following:
– A lack of purpose.
– A lack of a clear value proposition.
– A lack of knowledge on Marketing and Branding.
– A lack of due diligence and a commitment to learning, and increasing your knowledge about successful business practices.
– A lack of vision.
– A lack of willingness to take Big Risks, and make Big Mistakes (that you eventually learn from, and bring you one step closer to success).
– A lack of determination, tenacity, and perseverance.
– A lack of patience.
– A lack of willingness to try something new, scary, and uncomfortable.
– A lack of financial management skills and knowledge.
Do you see now that lack of money is not the core issue? It’s a symptom of a bigger problem.
“Let the possibilities inspire you more than the obstacles discourage you.” ~ Ralph Marston
The power to change your life, your career, and your future, are in your hands. Never give your power away. Never! When you place the blame on something or someone else, that takes your power away. How? It takes your power away because you can’t control other people, places, or things. You can only control yourself.
The first step on this journey is to believe. Believe that change is possible. Believe that there are undiscovered opportunities. Believe that the power to be successful, profitable, and prosperous, lies in your hands.
Believing these things doesn’t mean that you have all of the answers right now. It doesn’t mean that it’s going to be easy, or that it’s going to happen overnight. Believing simply opens your mind to the unknown possibilities that you may have never considered before. Believing motivates you, inspires you, and encourages you. Remember that every significant change that has ever happened in the world, started with one individual that believed that there was a better way, and that change was possible, and the rest, they say, is history.
So I ask you today, do you believe? Are you inspired, encouraged, and motivated? Even if you’re not completely convinced yet, don’t worry, you’ll get there. The fact that you’re reading this proves that there is a part of you that believes that a better future is possible.
Our government can’t save us. The status quo won’t help us. The world is so different now, because of innovation in technology, and it’s continuously changing. That means that you have to change too.
Now is the time to take action, do something new, something different, something challenging, and something that’s frankly, scary. But I promise you, it will be so worth it. Are you ready?
What do you think? Do you think that money is what’s holding many of us back in the dance community? Post a comment with your thoughts below, and share this on Facebook and Twitter to get the discussion started, on this very important topic.
Post your comment here!